We are not in a position right now to pay much so we are looking for people who would like to contribute, in return for a share in WorldBrain.io's profits, based on the Steward Ownership model. Your reward is calculated on the opportunity costs for a free/cheap contribution.
Example: You work for 5.000€ in total and don't charge, you'll then get a multiplier of that back from the profits we are making, in return for your risk and sweat, e.g. 20.000€.
As a team we are still outstanding a full conversation on what 'value' and 'contribution' means and how to fairly reward all the different types of contributions and risks involved that happened and will still happen. Be excited to take part in those, we are.
About your Role
Why this Role?
- Work with a novel financial model and communicate it to the world Instead of equity or stocks, WorldBrain.io uses a novel, non-speculative economic model called Steward Ownership to share success. In practice it is a profit sharing model with pre-defined maxium return. Shareholders cannot acquire voting rights by investing, only by working at the company. This model introduces many exciting challenges on how to measure and project financial health, and distribute profits among team and community.
- Join a company that values service & people, not limitless growth Private equity, venture capital and the stock market are increasingly damaging to society because their value generation is based on speculation and there is no limit on shareholder returns. It's the root cause of many of society's biggest problems like wealth inequality, climate change and environmental damages. WorldBrain.io is a Steward Ownership company. This economic model ensures that service, impact and worker's conditions are always placed first, financial returns second (but still important). This model combines the best of both worlds of capitalism and socialism: Empowerment of individuals and rewarding effort & Responsibility for the collective's good.
- Grow a network with people and communities working on the cutting edge of technology, finance and governance WorldBrain.io's team is connected to a wide array of people and communities the decentralised, open-source, finance and philanthropy space (e.g. Mozilla, IPFS, Purpose-Economy.org, EdgeRyders, Enspiral, Ouishare, EmbassyNetwork, REVISION, Dyne, Internet Archive, NEXUS, Dat, Ethereum).
- Gain new skills fast. Because we're still such a small team, we all take on many different roles that are new to us, whether that's writing, UX design, creating new processes. Your mind, abilities, and product sense will expand every day.
Working & Living with WorldBrain.io
We are a small & distributed team living in Berlin, Barcelona, Da Nang, New York City, Lisbon and Oxford. In our rounds we have activists, developers, biologists, journalists, community builders, and governance, music and gaming nerds.
We value the power of personal connections and try to meet as much as we can, even just 2 people visiting each other.
So, what is your challenge as CFO & Accountant?
- Create financial reports and projections for a revenue/profit oriented business
- Model how we distribute profits for shareholder returns with the Steward Ownership model.
- Transparently communicate our financial situation and projections with our community
- Create bookkeeping and accounting processes that allow facilitating international customers, as well as making it easy for a distributed team to work together and get paid.
- Prepare all necessary documents for the tax offices with German residency
You might be a good fit if...
- You have strong communication skills in both writing & speaking, and are highly reliable.
- You're patient, warm, mindful of others' needs and like to teach others.
- You're living an intentional life, know how to prioritise well and are organized in your thinking.
- You value well-designed processes that help fostering creativity.
- You are constantly on the cutting edge of world economics, politics, and global power dynamics.
- You're the kind of person that enjoys bringing order into chaos.
- You have experience in working in distributed teams and its requirements on documentation and communication
- Bonus: You are familiar with German tax law and can prepare documents for German tax attorneys. Even if not, it won't be hard to learn.
How to Apply
Sound like a good fit for you? Please email Oliver at
- Include this role's title in your subject line (it'll help us to sort through the emails).
- Send along links that best showcase the relevant things you've done, and what excites you about that challenge.
- Keep it short and sweet 🙂